[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1045: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
ThePakPolitics • Shahid Afridi's Return to Form : SPORTS
Board index SPORTS Shahid Afridi's Return to Form

Shahid Afridi's Return to Form

Discuss sports, recent sporting events...
Unread post Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 am
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

http://www.zemtv.com/2013/03/18/shahid- ... arch-2013/

(The Pak Eleven have had a terrible time in South Africa, but at least Afridi has recovered his form, for which we are extremely grateful.)

Unread post Wed May 01, 2013 2:41 pm
semirza User avatar

ISLAMABAD: Shahid Afridi has blamed Pakistan’s one-day cricket captain Misbah-ul-Haq for his exclusion from the Champions Trophy squad, and has vowed to return to the national team.

“It’s the captain’s decision to drop me,” Afridi told the an Urdu language newspaper on Wednesday.

“It’s no big deal for me if a captain doesn’t want a certain player in the team.”

In announcing the squad earlier this week, selectors said Afridi, who has scored 7,201 and taken 348 wickets in ODIs, was left out due to recent poor form in one-day internationals. He has scored only 161 runs at an average of 17.88 and taken just four wickets at an astonishing cost of 113.75 runs each in the last 12 ODIs. But Afridi refused to go into his recent statistics.

“I am much better than lot of other (Pakistan) players and I know I could play for Pakistan for few more years.”

Afridi now plans to prepare for a Twenty20 tournament in England in July where he will represent English county Hampshire.

“I have received lots of text messages from my fans and I am thankful to all of them,” he said.

The flamboyant allrounder refused to accept that his exclusion from the Champions Trophy squad spelt the end of his career.

“I know I have to work very hard to return to Pakistan team,” he said.

“I want to make it clear I don’t want to be burden on the team. I want to represent Pakistan on performance and fitness.

“The day I believed I am burden on the team I will quit myself.”

http://dawn.com/2013/05/01/struggling-a ... or-ct-axe/

Unread post Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Afridi's brilliance must not mask Pakistan's batting failure

Ahsan Chawla

Updated at 2013-07-15

Pakistan was rescued yesterday by one man’s dazzling performance. The mercurial Shahid Afridi scored 76 and claimed 7 wickets to pummel the West Indies in a comeback performance of epic proportions. He walked in the middle when the Pakistan's score was a sorry 47-5, and combined with captain Misbah-ul-Haq for a record-breaking sixth wicket partnership of 120 runs. Starting his innings in typically aggressive fashion, he took the fight to the West Indian bowlers, who never looked to threaten the flamboyant all-rounder, before repeating the act with the ball. At the end of the day, Pakistan completed a stunning come-from-behind 126-run win.

Afridi brilliance in Guyana, however, should not mask what was once again a pitiful effort with the bat by Pakistan. Out of the six batsmen before Afridi, only two made it to double figures. The first being the skipper, who by now, is used to facing the brand new ball and the other Umar Akmal.

Ahmed Shehzad, also making a comeback, played a gentle out swinging delivery from a bowler playing only his fourth ODI onto his off stump, unsure whether to play or leave. The heavily experienced Mohammad Hafeez was bowled while offering no shot, perhaps out the fear of getting out in the slips. Asad Shafiq too played a poor shot to edge one to makeshift wicketkeeper Johnson Charles who pulled off a stunner whereas Nasir Jamshed was unlucky to be on the receiving end of a harsh umpiring decision.

The Pakistan batting lineup, brittle as ever, has suffered from similar lapses for quite a while now. Maybe taking a leaf out of the captain’s book, they have failingly tried to play slower than their natural abilities would allow. It could be the constant fear of failure or the lack of faith shown by selectors in the young squad that has encouraged otherwise flamboyant batsmen to play in a much more reserved manner than they would prefer. Take Shehzad for example. Naturally a very aggressive batsman, in Pakistan colors he seems unsure of his range. He seems overawed by the circumstances facing him and prefers to simply survive the initial spell from any bowler, however inexperienced he may be. His dismissal proved just that point - his instincts pushed him to offer a shot, his caution advised him to sway his bat away and the confusion cost him his off stump. A batsman must never play anything but his natural game.

In the last 42 completed innings by Pakistan within the past two years, the overall strike rate has touched 100 merely two times. The batting has not fared well even with a lower benchmark, going over 80 only fourteen times. Compare this with India, whose success in the past two years has been phenomenal. India’s strike rate has crossed 100 nine times in their past 49 innings, with 34 innings being scored at a strike rate of above 80. The comparison goes to show the method both teams have adopted and the results are there for all to see.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1029206/afridi ... ng-failure

Unread post Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:17 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Well SEM, this time the two men, Afridi and Misbah, put aside their differences and played brilliantly together. I'm delighted today that Afridi got back his self-confidence and played with all the skill we know he possesses.

Return to SPORTS