Board index SOCIAL ISSUES Imagination and Fairy Tales

Imagination and Fairy Tales

Social and Cultural issues

Forum rules

Kindly respect fellow bloggers and treat them as you would yourself like to be treated. We intend to maintain a friendly environment and keep it that way.
Avoid posting messages that flame, threaten, harass or insult others.
We also reserve the right to remove offensive posts.
Abusive behavior will not be tolerated and for this your account may be suspended.

admin
Unread post Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:58 am
Shimatoree Senior Moderator

As a young father( long ago)- I watched " Long Ago and Far Away" with my children. It was a fantastic program nased on the recommendations of Bruno Battelheim-( The uses of Enchantment)- and the comments of Einstien when he said that "if you wish to have intelligent children tell them fairy tales and if you want to have very intelligent children, tell them more fairy tales".

I came across this link and feel that it is worthwhile to submit it here.

http://criticalcommons.org/Members/MCIM ... r.mp4/view

Unread post Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:20 pm
Shimatoree Sahib,

A subject close to my heart! As a father of two young children, I found this very useful reading and I was relieved to see that I am probably doing it right as per Einstein who I consider to be a true genius for producing two breathtakingly beautiful papers; The Special Theory of Relativity and the General Theory of Relativity.

Story telling has fascinated me since a very young age and I have always loved listening to a good story and telling one to my children. I like to think myself as a raconteur (albeit not a very good one) and I am in awe of the age when Indian, Persians and Arab story tellers would bring tears to the eyes of grown men and women through their exquisite narration of tales of unrequited love, betrayal, war, longing and much more.

Whilst my children prefer me to read from a book but in my perfect world, I would like to make up a story in real-time for them. So I am with you on this one and I completely agree that story-telling a brilliant way to fire up the imagination in young minds. One of the earliest word my daughter learnt was 'imagination' because this where, I told her, stories come from.
@stingingnettle1
stingingnettle1@gmail.com

Unread post Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:03 pm
Agree!
I always liked the fairy tales, even as a grown up.

Return to SOCIAL ISSUES