[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1045: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
ThePakPolitics • Raag-o-Rang : MUSIC
Board index MUSIC Raag-o-Rang

Raag-o-Rang

A forum for music lovers
Unread post Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:33 pm
For Musician Bhai Sahab,

Where ever you are Musician Bhai, just remember that we do love you and miss you a lot.

Unread post Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:41 pm
Musician Bhai, Mirza Sahab, Khan Sahib, FJ, Ajhons...
This song is dedicated to Musician...when Musician Bhai Sahab will honor us with his presence on this forum...........

Unread post Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:40 pm
Musician Most Senior Member

For those who like raags and raginis.

Unread post Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:24 am

Unread post Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 am

Unread post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Unread post Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:22 am

Unread post Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:06 am
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Musician, hello. You were always very fond of Kaushiki C. Well, I've had no time really to sit down and listen to it all. Shall be back later to let you know what I liked and what less so.

Unread post Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Unread post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:11 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

So here goes. The first Kaushiki I could not follow too well. I couldn't get the measure of the rag. But the second, raga Charukashi, also hitherto unknown to me, was a splendour. Lata's classical venture was interesting. Wonder whether she'd have made a great classical singer had she not opted to become a goddess of the filmy gana instead. Most moving of all was the instrumental piece, beautifully played by a very accomplished young woman and also my favourite Rag, the Malkaus. Thanks a lot for the above choice. It should leave no one unmoved.

Sorry, I missed out on Ustad Rashid Khan. His Bhairavi was mesmerising. But then how could anyone go wrong with that particular raga. Also, what I like about Indian classical music is that it never gets locked up in semantics. The greatest emotions require the fewest words.

Unread post Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Mirza Ghalib

Like your poetry, your taste in music is also high class one. Where I am, it is evening and the time for Aimen (yaman) and here is a short one. I hope you will enjoy.

Unread post Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Musician, thanks, but I am more ignorant than many. I did enjoy the Aimen and shall add to my meagre store of familiar ragas. In return now, I thought to post the lion of them all, the Durbari, but it was too long and too solemn perhaps for this remarkable day. So I settled for the video below. Hope you like it.

Unread post Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:08 am

Mirza Ghalib
I must admit that I am overjoyed that you like this branch of music. From what transpires, you are not ignorant at all but should you insist then your ignorance is a blessing. I had come across Raag Janjhoti many times but the name was very off-putting and therefore I kept my distance. I listened to it now and I must say that it did not do anthing for me. The lion of all,you threatened me with and I do not feel threatened at all because I befriended this lion long time ago. Here is a short item for you which despite being not very pure, still paints a very complete picture of ii.

Unread post Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:43 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Musician thanks. The Sajjad Hussain was pure pleasure. About Raag Janjhoti, perhaps what I heard in it was the spirit of nostalgia which is such a mark of our music, the pain of what once had been and is no longer, the serenity of resignation forced upon us by the passage of time. As for the King of the raags, I don't doubt for an instant you have tamed it completely. It is I who feel a bit awkward in its presence. It sends shivers down my back, specially in the Rais Khan version of it.

Unread post Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:39 pm

For Mirza Ghalib

Unread post Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Unread post Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:29 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

You've made a conquest, Musician. I've come to see the multiple beauties of Raag Yaman, no doubt about it.

Unread post Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Mirza Ghalib

Good to see Yaman and Malkauns side by side! Both have longins.

Unread post Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:07 am

Mirza Ghalib

It is time for your favourite raag. I hope you are not asleep.

Unread post Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

I was asleep, Musician, but listened to it this morning instead. Did no harm. It sounded as good as ever, not to worry. You've given us a crash course on raag Yaman. I've learnt a lot, but it's more information than knowledge at this stage. The assimilation period must kick in sometime. What was fascinating was the two songs by Lata-Mukesh and Farida Khanum which turned out also to belong to the Yaman category. Is it a similarity in melody or rhythm or what which determines the classification? I did warn you I was barely literate in the matter. Thanks for all the postings. Very much hope your plea in Yaman will not fall on deaf ears.

Next

Return to MUSIC