Board index Pak Vision The signs in the Heavens! 27

The signs in the Heavens! 27

Pak Vision is a platform where all are welcome sharing their version of dreams about Pakistan and it's future.
Unread post Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 am
Even though the original concept of Caliphate failed to survive, it had lingered for centuries. All Empires he mentioned had proclaimed it and thus had cheated the masses into believing that they were the true representatives of the divine will. In reality they were walking in the footprints of Egyptian, Greek, Romans and even Christian rulers that had claimed to be the regents of the divine on earth. They had little to do with the religion and yet held religious authority as all priests were forced to concede their approval and allegiance to them. For all Muslims the highest authority on earth was a Caliph and that made them godlike in absence of real God.
“Do you mean that it’s the first time since the early days of Islam that we don’t have any Caliph?”
“Exactly, and that thing happened almost a century ago, so you can say that the Muslim world is without a Caliph from the last 90 years or so and that by ignoring the comic declaration of Taliban leader to proclaim himself as a Caliph, which lasted but a short time.”
What was so funny about that self-proclamation, I asked.
“A caliph is supposed to represent the overwhelming majority of Muslims, while the Taliban leader not even represented his own tiny nation.”
“Do you believe the Caliphate can return?” I inquired.
“Where there is a demand there exists a supply line.”
“Is such an expectation realistic, remembering the fact that we talk about more than a billion people spread all around the globe?” I was not convinced.
“The Caliphates even at their heights never represented the entire Muslim populations as there were always smaller territories that stayed independent, the kings that were sovereign and yet the Caliphs’ enjoyed a religious status, where the authority was symbolically recognized.”
His putting stress on the concept of Caliphate convinced me that he belonged to that class, which saw the inevitability of a return to the Islamic state led by the Caliph. These otherwise normal and intelligent people rejected the modern democracies and wished to replace it with the Islamic way of government. Personally I had never been convinced as to how the concept was better than the democracies.
“What do you think, how we are to find a personality that all Muslims can agree upon as their unanimous Caliph?” I asked.
“How do we choose a leader in the so called democratic country?” He was there with a counter question. When I told that it happened through voting he congratulated me by saying that I had the answer. His attitude of superiority along with patronizing arrogance was annoying me.
“Do you believe the Muslim leaders around the world could easily choose a combine leader for themselves?” I asked. He laughed heartily.
“Oh, I see, no, OIC is blind to the truth and so are our leaders. Even if they could choose a combine leader, it certainly would be under pressure of their enemies and therefore we would get some gigantic traitor instead.” Firstly I couldn’t understand his joke but when I did I agree that we Muslims were deprived of good leadership. He couldn’t tell as to how the new Caliph was to come to the Muslims but believed that it was not only inevitable but was even imminent. Like the early days of Islam this Caliph was to give us a pure state and spread Islam as it was done fourteen hundred years ago.
“Could it be a wishful thinking of yours?” I taunted.
“Yes, it could be, but then we all are free to enjoy such a pleasure, don’t we?” he looked relaxed, while I felt unease at his reluctance to provide me the vital information as to who was to choose a Caliph and how was it to be done if it really was inevitable as he had made me believe. I couldn’t help imagining, someone imposed on us by the actions of some unthinking but corrupt idiots. The memories of assemblies choosing a dacoit for us as a president still haunted me.
“Don’t worry, the coming Caliph will not be here to suppress you, he will be here to redeem us, uplift us from the bottomless pits we have sunk down to.” He tried to soothe me and I wished I could share his enthusiasm. For such a long time we had had only despicable personalities as our leaders that I had completely lost all trust in that breed.
“What makes you believe that the experiment will succeed this time?” I asked.
“It doesn’t matter if it succeeds or fails in the long run, I’ll be happy if we got some honest leader even for a few decades. It would be enough for us to provide the solid grounds on which the society can sustain itself.”
“Do you expect some Messiah in the shape of this Caliph? Just remember that even Messiahs can’t perform the miracle of changing the wretched world of ours.” I tried to bring him back to reality.
“You are right and yet completely wrong, no one has ever succeeded in changing the world in one go and despite that fact don’t you agree that we live in an ever changing world? Don’t you realize that we live between pairs of opposites, so what’s so strange to expect better times after having lived in terrible times?” he was not to be beaten by me, I realized.
“Suppose you are right, from where do you believe the new Caliph will come from?” I tried.
“Is that important? The only thing that I’m concerned about is that he be fulfilling the criteria” was his brief answer.
Despite his soothing words, I was not happy about the idea of any Caliph that was to hold the spiritual and worldly powers in his hands. I knew that these two were not compatible and were necessary to bring us to some realities we wished to avoid. The dreams of world conquest at the end of times were not something at least I looked forward to. Any such attempts, regardless of from which corner of the world they were to be initiated, were to bring the world a catastrophe. The question was simple, was a coming Caliph to bring wars and confrontations between the religions or was the attempts to enslave the Muslims that were to hurry the emergence of a Caliph? The answer lay beyond my reach and the mystery man had but little interest to address the issue

Return to Pak Vision