[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1045: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
ThePakPolitics • Young doctors or Heartless gangsters! : PAKISTAN AND POLITICS
Board index PAKISTAN AND POLITICS Young doctors or Heartless gangsters!

Young doctors or Heartless gangsters!

Intellectual discourse to achieve a deeper understanding and a broader perspective of the political events affecting us.
Unread post Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm
Once again young doctors in Punjab are showing to the world that they are less of physicians and more of a Mafia that gives a damn in patients and precious human lives. We are aware that these young doctors may have some problems with the administration and certainly have some genuine demands but to go on strike is not acceptable act. Doctors are considered to be one of the most sensitive part of our professional that chose the lives of service. They are supposed to serve the community without any hesitation or blackmailing. They are supposed to save lives on all cost. But our young doctors are behaving more and more irresponsible and thus endanger the lives that depend on them.
These doctors have become more violent, more organized and more arrogant, all this is highly sad development and must be resisted if we are to have somewhat functioning health care system in the country. With so few hospitals in a country of 180 million people, these doctors are vital for the sick and needy people. When they go on strike or stop attending the patients, they commit crimes against the society and humanity and thus must be punished for their crimes. The best way of punishing these gangsters like activities is to terminate their service contracts, cancel their degrees or right to practice the profession and grant them jail sentences for the violent acts against senior doctors or others. Only by becoming tough can we get rid of these newly evolved Mafioso trends.

Yes, it is like all things in life, the only language that people speak or understand is 'Thuggery.'

The only difference between our 'young' doctors and the mafia is that instead of the 'Omerta,' our doctors have to take the Hippocratic oath.

I wonder if Shahbaz Sharif will wake up one day to find a horse's head in his bed?
@stingingnettle1
stingingnettle1@gmail.com

Usually I'm so very impressed from our youth, who are talented, intelligent and vibrant but I'm so disappointed from young doctors, who again nand again show disrespect to others and bahave so very selfish. They keep forgeting that what makes doctor a respectable professional is the noble willingness to serve the others. They are nothing without that willingness and better it would be for them to change the profession if it's the money they are after.

In an effort to contribute something meaningful to this discussion, I will attempt to shed some light on some very important ideas. I would further like to add that this is my first post to thepakpolitics and I would like to say I'm delighted to be a part of this small but intellectual group. The discussions here are wholesome and fascinating and I would like to do my best to levitate this forum to a higher degree of respect.

Criticism is healthy and sometimes a necessity. Judging by the nature of the strike or at least the industry in question in particular, there is a type of "catch 22" when it comes to deciding who is at fault and which side is to blame. No doubt, the medical profession is one of great responsibility. However, I would like to believe that a healthy environment for doctors (pardon the pun) is one in which they can thrive and contribute to the general betterment of their work. This notion in turn would also carry over to better the quality of health care a patient may receive. To put it simply, what I am trying to imply is: You're damned if you do, You're damned if you don't. Allow me to explain. In the medical industry, since a doctor has an inherent responsibility to care for his/her patients, it would seem unwise and perhaps immoral to "strike" over something and cease to report to work, as this obviously contributes to suffering of the patients that need care. On the contrary, it would be wise to engage in discussion with the authorities while continuing to practice their profession. This would be the common expectation of people, or at least the ideal way to find a way to resolve the issues at hand.

HOWEVER, (with great emphasis)

What is the demand? The demand is for a service structure. This encompasses the process of promotion, the process of governance/regulation, and also the process of compensation i.e. salaries.

Why has this demand come to light? Ponder over this for a moment, the health sector in punjab is ungoverned. Since there is no official assignment of portfolio to a designated official, it falls on the lap of the cheif minister. Granted, there is a standing committee in place, that too, chaired by a lawyer, but a committee itself cannot replace a single head officer with the sole responsibility of maintaining the sector. As witnessed in a number of occurrences, when trouble brews in punjab, the CM is on the scene. I would like to extend my gratitude to the CM on his astuteness and his readily available willingness to dive into matters (with sleeves rolled ((literally)) in punjab. Similarly, I would blast the CM's indignant behaviour and irresponsibility of trying to "personally" handle matters he is not qualified to handle. The CM in today's punjab has power to simply intervene and shuffle groups/doctors/health institutions over a whim without oversight. The existence of this simple fact facilitates nepotism and corruption on many levels. But I digress. Going back to the initial question stating why has this demand come to light? I would summarize it and justify it by saying, although the health sector of the province lacks an authority figure or head, an established service structure without interference would allow the YDA to operate as a division of the province should. (efficiently, and with effectiveness)

Yes, the YDA is demanding more money, to put it crudely. However, I presume we can all agree the health sector in punjab deserves more money (generally speaking) rather than for example a severely expensive and wasteful distribution of laptops program.

Again, I would like to re-iterate, you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. (in context to the strike of YDA)

semirza User avatar

Bravo brother Salman Ali Khan
A very warm welcome from TPP bloggers; A great post so very well articulated. Sir, you have precisely identified the problem that our young doctors face right now. SS is currently presiding over 22 ministries (should be a record for Pakistani Political History till date). As you have pointed out such persons like SS and CJ are not a solution to problems but are part of problems concerning Pakistan and Pakistanis, where ever they are.

Agreed on all accounts as to what you have highlighted by focusing on problems with solutions and that is what I really appreciate from the depths of my heart. Keep it up Dr Sahab.
Once more welcome to thepakpolitics.

Salman;

First of all, a very warm welcome to the forum. Your first contribution to this forum is indeed highly balanced, well thought through and subtle; a quality effort that not only raises the bar but is also a pleasure to read. Nice one.

I really need to reflect hard on what you've said before I can make any meaningful comments. Just give me a bit more time.

Meanwhile; I look forward very much to reading you posts on whatever you choose to write about.
@stingingnettle1

Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

My turn now to say how glad we are to have you with us here, Doctor Sahib. From the angle from which I see things, the YDA is just part of the overwhelming problem of health care in Punjab in particular and Pakistan in general. The whole system needs a complete overhaul so we don't carry on having newborn babies bitten to death by rats, babies dying of measles (God!) in a kind of epidemic simply because the medicine provided is not right, patients succumbing to the bogus cough mixture they have been prescribed, etc., etc. The recent videos we have been given to see of young doctors beating up senior doctors and then being marched out duly handcuffed is therefore only one part of the picture showing how low we've sunk in matters medical. The answer to all this,, Dr Salman, might well be patience at this point in time and then casting the right vote when the next General Election comes. We have a choice now. We do both these things, we might even lick the problem of how to keep our population medically alive while giving Young Doctors the fair deal they most definitely deserve.

Unread post Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 pm
Salman;

It is impossible to disagree with your argument that a healthy and happy environment will bring out the best out in a doctor and I guess this general principle applies to other professions as well. I think the pay and conditions of young doctors in Pakistan are utterly atrocious and I have come to this opinion seeing my younger cousin (a doctor) struggle though the early years his profession. The situation was so bad that the only way he could gain experience was work ridiculous hours for nothing in a Govt Hospital in Rawalpindi. He used to tell me that without experience he could not hope to improve his prospects for proper employment. So I have no difficulty in supporting young doctors in their demands for career and pay structures that are clear and fair and some mechanism for dealing with their complaints in a systematic manner.

A doctor striking is an indication that either there is no system for redress of complaints or dialogue and trust has broken down catastrophically. In either case the buck must stop at the senior doctors and the provincial government. Anyone will tell you that a good managers always pre-empts a break down and always tackle issues before they go past the point of no return. It is hard to escape the conclusion that this is a case of complete incompetence and failure on part of the management. The fact as you have stated it; doctors refusing to treat patient looks utterly heartless and horrendous.

The clip we saw a few days back which shows young doctors behaving like thugs and beating people up and causing damage did not make pleasant viewing. It seems that no one pays any attention to an issue unless there is thuggery and violence. This is not unique to the doctors of course. CM Punjab's incompetence is evident from the fact that all he is seen doing is damage control and giving mindless executive orders (as you have said yourself) which make no sense to anyone. This notion of governing Punjab through 'Superman' like interventions is reprehensible and counter-productive. It shows that CM and his 'homies' have no idea about what the problem is or what to do about it. You rightly point out that this then leads to nepotism and favouritism.

Young doctors frustration is just one facet of the multi-dimensional failure that the Punjab Govt presides over. Whilst many of the complaints of young doctors are legitimate and worthy of serious attention, however, when we see clips of strikes and thuggery by a small minority of doctors; it tends to bring the entire profession into disrepute. The leadership within YDA needs to distance itself from the thugs and violent individuals who are not helping the cause of young doctors. It is important for YDA to purge from it ranks, those whose agenda is very different from the demand of fair pay, reasonable working hours and clear career structure of the vast majority of young doctors.

I feel that young doctors must make their voice heart and they must be unionised but they must be very careful about the of image and perception they would like to portray in the wider community.
@stingingnettle1

Unread post Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:21 am
Thanks Salman for your valuable post. You are absolutely right in putting the things in their right perspective. Both MG and SN have taken their time to give you their point of view and there is little left for me to add, except that I do agree with both gentlemen that our young doctors need to be extra careful in pursuation of their genuine demnads. If they do it with dignity and respect for life intact, you can expect much support from the ordinary people. Never should our weaker, sick and helpless brothers and sisters become the victim of any haertless act, especially not from our honorable doctors, the young messiahs.
Our brothers out there have more terrible lives to drag and we must do everything in our power to serve them as good as we can.
It pleases me to read your fantastic write, I also extend you my respects and welcome you onboard. I'm sure you will find new friends here, friends who care and to whom one can count on. I myself am quite new here but already feel like being here from eternity and enjoy exchanging ideas with these kind and brave people. I hope you too will be comfortable over here.

Unread post Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 pm
Today I saw some young doctors in 'Khara Sach' programme giving their point of view. Since I didn't watch the programme from the beginning, I do not know if YDA representatives offered any explanation or apology for the violent behaviour of young doctors shown on TV about a week ago.

From the bit I watched, it is clear that the hospitals and the health system in Punjab is being run like a personal fiefdom by the Sharifs. They are sending in patients with 'sifarish' slips demanding various treatments and perks whilst the ordinary patients are suffering terribly waiting for attention. The programme showed quite a lot documentary evidence which seems credible and it paints a filthy picture of corruption and interference in the workings of the health system and the running of hospitals. To me as an outsider, the demands being made by the three YDA representatives seems very logical and reasonable and it is beyond me to understand why they do not make sense to the Punjab Govt.

Playing politics in Govt. hospitals will only lead to untold misery and death for those Pakistanis who cannot afford expensive private hospitals. The health care system in Punjab is in crisis and you do not need much more evidence to believe that.

The culture of 'nawazish' , 'bakhshish' and 'sifarish' should end in Govt. hosptials; otherwise more and more people will simply stop using proper processes and methods and will rely on 'other methods' to get access to health care.

The Sharifs should stop treating doctors like their personal minions by sending people with little sifarish notes.
@stingingnettle1

Return to PAKISTAN AND POLITICS