[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1045: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3884)
ThePakPolitics • The Holy Cow 5 : ThePakPolitics ThinkTank - Political Analysis
Board index ThePakPolitics ThinkTank - Political Analysis The Holy Cow 5

The Holy Cow 5

This is an academic discussion forum presenting information and analysis concerning current Pakistani and International political affairs.
Original thoughts expressed are most welcome. Please support us to maintain a healthy brainstorming atmosphere on this forum.
Thanks
Unread post Tue May 06, 2014 11:43 am

Ever since its creation, the country has been commuting between a presidential and a parliamentarian form of governments and thus has ended up being neither this nor that. The constitution of 73 declares Pakistan as a republic, where the Prime Minister is the head of the executive, but the constitutional head of the state, is the president. How this nominal post has been manipulated and exploited by our military dictators and even civilian presidents, is not any secret. It’s interesting to note that unlike many other articles of the constitution, a substantial portion of the document is spared to explain in detail about the functions and powers of this office. A president is the head of the state, is ceremonial head and is supreme commander of the Armed forces. He is chosen by members of the parliaments (Senate, National and Provincial assemblies together). He can’t be removed other than through impeachment, which requires two third of the vote in favour of such a move. The president enjoys immunity and therefore can’t be tried for any crimes, while in office. Zia through 17th amendment had made the president the most powerful office with the power to suspend the government and overthrow the sitting governments. This power was misused many times. The constitution speaks about the president to be a neutral person, as he represents the Federation and yet our former president A.A.Zardari openly defied the rule and court orders and mocked the entire system by remaining president and head of PPPP until the end of his office. Zardari and his presidency, is a subject that alone can give us the material to write a book, but we will not waste our time on one single scum like him and yet we need to tell that his coming into power through the back door, was one of the most hideous crimes of the pseudo democracy and the fake elections of 2008, where millions of fake votes were cast and the sitting government represented just the fraction of the population. The verdict of the history, is certainly will be hard and these criminal leaders of the political parties will be disclosed as the worst enemies of the democracy.
In parliamentarian government all the power belongs to the parliament and the PM and his cabinet are accountable to the members of that institution, but our present PM is not answerable to none, he obviously shows his contempt to the parliament by not attending its sessions. Ever since the elections, he has not even set his foot in the upper house and has just attended one or two meetings of the NA. Article 91 speaks about a collective responsibility of the PM and federal ministers towards the parliament and yet we can see that this rule is violated on a daily basis. The cabinet meetings are just to confirm all that which has been already decided by His Highness the Emperor NS. Who in his cabinet and party can dare to question his decisions and his dull intelligence? According to the constitution a minister can be appointed without even being the member of the parliament for six months. Prime Minister can be removed by vote of no confidence alone, after the eighteenth amendment, which took away the right of the president to dissolve the Parliament and sack any sitting PM. It also removed the restriction of a PM to hold the office only for two terms. The removal of that hurdle was vital for both BB and Nawaz, as both had already been in the office twice. The removal of this clause brought the two sinister sides on the same page and made them cover each sides crimes. We will not discuss the rubber stamps, called the Senate and Assemblies or Majlis-e- share here as this requires a separate comprehensive study and we will do it some other time.
There remain many issues to discuss, but we refrain from doing so at present. The conclusions hitherto are discouraging and depressing. We are baffled to note that the subsequent governments of this country have been criminally violating or ignoring the articles of the document, they so often declare as something sacred. The declaration that the constitution is Supreme, is a great lie and we should be careful to buy it at its face value. After discussing the article 6, we would be through for the time being and other holy cows like the Parliament and the Judiciary, we will be handling separately in the days to come.

Continued, one more to go.

Unread post Tue May 06, 2014 6:38 pm
Shimatoree Senior Moderator

Res:

The salvation of Pakistan like any other country in the so-called developing world is a strong leader with Vision, Intellect and imagination who can have people around him who are capable of doing the work.
The problem has been NOT the lack of STRONG leaders but those very leaders have been devoid of any of the Re-deeming qualities required. Someone who knows he has very little time and someone who acknowledges that the Grave is the future for all of us.

Let me use a few examples.

Saddam Hussein………..he had all the possible political power that anyone could have dreamt for but he was a COMMON man, incapable of knowing that he could have achieved IMMORTALITY in the hearts of the Iraqis if ONLY he had used his brain or that of intelligent patriotic Iraqis. But then maybe his did want Immortality…………..well he sort of achieved it through being killed by the Americans at the scaffold.

Musharraf…………again he had all the power and the support of the people.
All he had to do was to rise above his OWN level and he could have also become the beloved of his people if ONLY he had kept in mind his FUTURE…that is the Grave.
Why he failed………..because he had no Character, no imagination…………I have often wondered as to how he became a senior officer in the army. He also failed.

Nawaz Shareef………he is rich, and he had 2/3rd majority.
All he had tho do was to surround himself with good patriotic people……instead he surrounded himself with his idiotic relative shop keepers and anyone who happen to be around with an intellect…..he got rid of them…………..so like WATER…..Nawaz Shareef had to return to his own LEVEL.

Now compare that with

1. Ho Chi Minh

2. Mao Ze Dong.

3. Ayatollah Khomeini

So parliamentart system or a presidential system or dictatorship is not the problem…………….

the problem is and has always been the MAN………….who is put in places such as these by FATE.

Imagine…………..Mir Khalil Ur Rehman of GEO………….who has inherited all his wealth from the work of his father……….all he had to do was to do the right thing………………instead he also comes down to how own Level.

And of course Imran Khan, an otherwise honest and courageous man………..seems to miss the MOMENT..or fails to Grab the moment………maybe he will learn………..and maybe Fate will give him a chance like it did to Saddam Hussein…………………..
………………
………………………………………the saying that you find out the truth about a Man when the Chips are down is FALSE……….
……………………………………………..
……you find the truth about a Man when he is all powerful.

Unread post Tue May 06, 2014 11:33 pm
Shim,

I agree with you that different people are of different caliber and not all can perform even if they are given the power and opportunity to do so. The history is full of insignificant people who obtained the great heights and yet fell short and never accomplished any significant task. You named few of the leaders who in your opinion could achieve something for their nations. I don’t know if they could do so, even if they were conscious about the given prospect. Why do you place Nawaz among such leaders, I have no idea. I have my own opinion about this being and it is not very good, I can elaborate if you wish so. I have my take on Imran Khan as well, which I’ve not been shy to share every now and then and that even on the cost of annoying some of my dear friends. I like Imran a lot and yet I don’t trust his judgments, he is too good to be among the filthy folks of the political arena. I sincerely believe that he can give us the society we yearn for, but only if he reforms himself first.
On 11th of May, he is going to protest and yet he remains unclear about his objectives. Why is he trying to excuse himself, why to say that he doesn’t intend to bring down the government of Nawaz? If Nawaz has stolen the mandate, then he doesn’t deserve to be the Prime Minister. If it was a conspiracy, then he should not stop from continued protests and the goal should be to bring about a movement against all criminals that sits in the government at present. It’s apparent that the former government parties stand by the side of their co-criminal party PML-N. So we shouldn’t expect any help from these quarters. How Imran is going to handle the protests is vital, he should be vigilant if he is not going to lose the momentum in favor of TUQ instead. One thing keeps worrying me about IK and that is lack of vision or rather ability to verbalize it or to paint it for others.

Unread post Wed May 07, 2014 3:24 am

Res

First why did I put Nawaz Shareef's name in the list. I am also of the opinion that the guy is an idiot…….but once in the position……
……………...he could have at least followed the first EDICT of HIPPOCRATES..

1. First..Do NO HARM !. He did not and if we accept that he does have it………..then we must also take those that PUT him in the place on top as equally culpable.

About Imran…………my view is very simple. and I will use something that Imran himself said.

When asked about the problems that Sher Shah Suri faced and how he went about solving those problems………………Imran's comment was that he had his team in place and ready to tackle the problems of the country.
This was April 2011.
As we know that was not quite correct. So why did Imran say that ?

I am unwilling at this time to castigate Imran but the fact is that he is trying too hard to be a person who is acceptable to everyone….esp: his Burger constituency and his political friends like Qureshi etc.

I had wanted and expected that in Imran we would have a Napoleon-( in a political sense), but I feel that we do not have that.

This May 11th thing is badly thought off, badly planned and very badly timed. I do not think this has been thought THROUGH as to where it may lead and what is the OBJECTIVE.
Imran has been saying that the aim is not to dislodge the govt. and not to destroy the system( whatever that maybe)-
I do not like TAQ esp because of his stupid HATS…….but one thing I have to give it to him. At least he has said that he is going to destroy the system as it is now and that he is not going to back down or go away.
Of course he has very little credibility due to his previous sojourn in Islamabad but we will just have to wait and see.
If Imran is going to play how OWN game and not coalesce with TAQ…………..both will lose.

In addition, Imran has surrounded himself with less than decent people.
Just to name 2………..the singer-dancer from Narowaal and Tarin the big Suger magnate.
There are quite a few others in his team.

I think this May 11th thing will not turn out good for PTI

Unread post Wed May 07, 2014 7:49 am
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

How on earth is Pakistan going to ever work together when even our small group can't come to any sort of agreement over what to do next? Whatever, for the past year we've been in the iron grip of inertia. Now that PTI goes into attack modus, that too is apparently inacceptable to quite a few. The days are fleeing in front of our very eyes. Soon we'll see chapter one of the Nawaz Sharif saga of umitigated crime come to an end. We'll take it from there.

One word about an alliance with TUQ. I was against it the last time. I'm against it today as well and am glad to see the PTI core committee decided not to take it up TUQ is not trustworthy. But he can be helpful on May 11. More need not be added.

It is still too early to talk about midterm elections. Let us see the tsunami hit first and then decide what comes next. Midterm elections at this particular moment would only mean more rigging. We can't afford that. What we are going towards though is a broadbased revolt on the part of the population. Such movements always come with consequences. Long live the masses, Long live Imran Khan, the flawed hero in the eyes of some.

Unread post Wed May 07, 2014 11:13 am
MG,
It’s easier to get agreements when some dominating figure deals with unthinking, unintelligent and unrealistic people who accept everything in an unquestioned manner. On a forum like this we find people with strong views and people who are inclined to retain their independence. We are often guided by our uprightness, our principles and also by our intuition and thus the problem of disagreements. I sincerely hope that we take these dissention notes as a point of strength and not as a sign of weakness, we should worry about. Just remember that in the last analysis, we all stand firm and united for our cause. Imran Khan is a tricky question though. We all love him in our own way and yet evaluate his capacities and actions from different angels. My advice is that don’t let you be carried away, if we come up with annoying questions or are hard on him for one or the other reason. You are right; we don’t consider Imran a perfect being and therefore can’t offer him our dogged allegiances and loyalties, as you are capable to do. We will stand behind the man but also will be critical if he does some blunder. We are conditional fans of his, not blind followers. The rest of your thoughts will be addressed later on, have patience and stay strong. Our well-meant criticism will never harm Imran Khan and yet he has to grow out of his present costume, if he wants to get recognition as a great leader.

Unread post Wed May 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Mg

I on purpose and by design SHOT Loop Holes in this May 11th Thing.

Let me start by quoting Hashmi……..who says PTI does NOT want Mid-Term Elections…….and he is the Vice-president or something like that.

All your protestations about a few PIN PRICKS of mine ….are OK but…..if the SHOE fits…then one has to wear it.

What is the AIM of this Protest and what is the objective ?…….not stated and not defined.
If the aim is to get into the streets in the hot days of summer for one day or for two days………..then I will say no More………….

But PTI has gone to court to get a Re-count in ONLY 4 precincts …..why only 4 ?
The courts have not been of help and will not be of help for obvious reasons known to PML-N and CJ Iftikhar.
Going into the streets is by itself a good idea but it must be done to SEE the thing through….which means topple the bastards……..and whatever happens afterwards HAPPENS.

What the HELL is this SEMI-APOLOGETIC STANCE…………..that we are not against JUMHOOR YUT and we do not want MID-TERM ELECTIONS…………….and being a right brain dominant person……….I cannot forget THAT Image of Imran welcoming Nawaz Shareef at his House.
He did not have to do that.

I , along with OTHERS here are the BAAD E MUKHALIF which wants to make you-( PTI)- fly HIGHER.

Take the heat and cool it with LOGIC and REASON by REFUTING the Objections put forth………..do not get into a TIZZY.

The fact is that IMRAN is either himself pondering too much ..too long……or is listening to his cronies for too long……………..that is not the way of Sher Shah Suri.
In the GEO FLAP……….he was late issuing a statement by one week……………..may I ask why did he not condemn the bastards right after they started their 8 hour DIATRIBE LIVE. If he had…………..today he COULD topple the shop keepers of Lahore.

I shall hold the rest of my vitriol.

Unread post Wed May 07, 2014 8:25 pm

“We had accepted the election-( the result of RIGGING )-, but we have not accepted the rigging,”

Imran Khan April 2014

Unread post Wed May 07, 2014 11:51 pm
Mirza Ghalib User avatar
Senior Moderator

Sorry Friends, if I gave you the impression I was being judgemental about anyone. That was not my purpose in any case. What I really meant was that first we had passivity on the part of PTI, someting we all greatly deplored, I take it. Now that it seems to be getting ready to act, we're still not happy about their choice. Actually, in my own world of political thought, democracy has never struck me as the best form of governance we humans could have devised. Too much is left to chance in such a system. And apparently rigging the polls is also easily done. I repeat what I said earlier on: midterm elections at this point will lead to another rigging disaster. So now I've gone back to my original hope for Pakistan: a Revolution. That is what I want to see come out of May 11, 2014: our first step towards starting the revolutionary process. I may well be wrong and it won't be the first time either. But at least hope has flared up again.

What has been unbearable all along has been our marking time for the past year when it was obvious from the word go that the election had been stolen. Now it's time to start chapter two of this painful saga.

It's true I like and respect IK. He's one of the rare persons in politics I can say this about and mainly because he is lacking in the cleverness that marks most successful politicians. As for Sher Shah Suri, I thought we'd all accepted the fact by now that IK was not made in the great man's mould. But I definitely agree with you Shim that the IK line you quoted in your last post is enough to make anyone want to throw up. To you Res, I want to say I do value your commitment to the cause. And actually it was Shim who finally gave me the red light to throw in my lot with the ascending-descending fortures of our IK. Now if we could but add patience to our many other virtues, we would be ideal PTI supporters.

Unread post Thu May 08, 2014 3:13 am

Mg

I was and still am Flaming MAD when CJ Iftikhar declaring NRO…..null and void……Ab INITIO…….but then declaring the govt installed by this very NRO as Legal and democratic. How the HELL he could do it and no one PIP SQUEEKED ………..instead the GEO and other Sycophants sang his praises to the high heavens Ad Infinitum. And Imran did NOT come out Breathing Fire
The CJ was DISHONEST and that was the first indication to me that the guy was a crook and in Co Hoots with the Crooks of PPP and PML-N.

So, if I can apply that Scalpal to the CJ for what seemed to me like a conflict………..how in God's name can I absolve Imran of his statement…..

" “We had accepted the election-( the result of RIGGING )-, but we have not accepted the rigging,”

How could he accept the election and why did he do that one year ago. Well , I give him a pass for 3 months because he was hurt………..but he should have come out like a Fire Dragon after that.
Oh he expected the CJ to provide Justice to him and that he was Naive to think that the CJ was not Just.

All he had to do was to read THE PAKPOLITICS.com and he would have known.

In matters of Law………..ignorance of the Law is not a defense.

So my reservations are there like the Doubting Thomas that I am………..Yes I want to hold him to a higher standard of everything…………and yes WHY in the Hell can't he be like Sher Shah Suri.

Why Not ?

Return to ThePakPolitics ThinkTank - Political Analysis