Board index ThePakPolitics ThinkTank - Political Analysis The Holy Cow 3

The Holy Cow 3

This is an academic discussion forum presenting information and analysis concerning current Pakistani and International political affairs.
Original thoughts expressed are most welcome. Please support us to maintain a healthy brainstorming atmosphere on this forum.
Thanks
Unread post Sat May 03, 2014 2:31 pm
Islam as a state religion.
We may have our reservations regarding the intervention of state in religious affairs of its citizens and argue that the state should be secular, in order to treat all its citizens equally, regardless of the differences existing between different fractions of populations existing in it. Nevertheless, we do remember that the country was created on the basis of religious differences in the British India, where the Muslims felt threatened by the overwhelming Hindu majority and demanded a separate state for themselves. They wanted to have a homeland where they could live and practice their faith freely. What the founding fathers had in their heads regarding that state is not an easy task for us to comprehend, but we presume that they had a vision of a modern country where they could practice their faith without outside interventions or suppressions.
The proclamation of state of Pakistan as an Islamic republic is one of the salient feature of the constitution of Pakistan. We still need to know what Islam as the religion of the state of Pakistan entails. The article 2 is very brief. Just by glancing at the ground realities of the country, we can discern that despite the claims the state has nothing to do with Islam. Its institutions in every sense, are as secular as can be anywhere else in the world. We will discuss the matter in somewhat detail later as we proceed further. Most of Pakistani laws stem from the British colonial period and are merely altered to suit the needs of the country since independence. According to definition and assertions the laws of the country aren’t designed in harmony with Quran, Sunnah or Islamic jurisprudence. All vices forbidden in Islam are widely practiced by those sitting in power and the elite groups of the society. The social ills are purposely ignored or accepted as a necessary evil. The Islamic state of Pakistan is completely blind to social injustices, economic exploitation of the masses and all other principles that make Islam a superior doctrine. The welfare of the people is not the prime goal of the state of Pakistan as it’s run by the devil worshippers, who prostrate before the Golden Calf every second of their waking life. We will not elaborate the subject, fully aware that we all are conscious s to how the poor of this country fare. The Islamic state of Pakistan has utterly failed to live up to its name. The rich of this country have failed even to pay the meager 2.5 percent of their wealth to the poor, as it’s asked by the religion. The state is unjust, unwilling to provide internal and external security to the country and its citizens, unable to take care of the needs of its population and most of all is corrupt into its very bone marrow.
The question is why these ungodly members of our constituent assembly tried so hard to include this article in the constitution? The obvious reason could be that they wished to give the false impression that everything in Pakistan moves according to the will and command of Allah, the Almighty. Such assertion was sure to bring tranquility to the people who were already used to the tyranny of the rich and powerful for centuries. Islam was to be used as a drug, to make people endure the hardships of life with patience, while the elite could live the lives of luxuries and abundance. Islam was just the pretext to convince the people that their miseries were all due to the will of the creator and that there was no reason to seek a change as the affairs of the state were being run by the representatives (His khalifas,the humans) according to the laws made in light of Quran and Sunnah.
Even though many of the Mullahs had been the opponents of the creation of Pakistan, they saw new possibilities of asserting their power and influence, once the state of Pakistan became a reality. It didn’t take long before these started demanding a theocratic Pakistan, where Shariah laws were implemented. These groups have been on the surge for a long time, though these were not strong enough to challenge he writ of the state till very recently. How and why they were allowed to get wind under their wings is a separate issue, which needs another discussion. Right now we will stick to the subject of the constitution of Pakistan and see if it is a real document or is just a mockery of it. To conclude the ongoing point, it can be easily declared that Islam, though the practicing religion of the majority of our countrymen, has nothing to do with the religion of the state of Pakistan. This subtle body remains secular and devoid of Divine qualities and that is to speak most mildly. It wouldn’t e an exaggeration to state that in worst cases this noble and mother-like entity has been dominated by the ungodly and profane people, who are the worst kind of beings who ever existed the face of earth.
Continued

Unread post Sat May 03, 2014 7:33 pm
Res,

What a superb piece ! I really enjoyed reading it and learning from it. You have expressed all the issues surrounding our 'holy cow' brilliantly - starting from 1947. Thank you for writing this I am waiting for the 4th part eagerly.

The constitution of Pakistan is at best a paper version of everything we are not and do not do. Our Constitution has become the smoke that obscure issue whenever we need to cheat, deceive and lie. It is truly a wishlist of all things we have failed to grasp or understand.

I cannot warm up to a constitution that makes salvation the business of the state. It is counter intuitive and unworkable especially in a country like Pakistan where even within Islam the pathways to salvation are varied and many. You rightly point to the role of the mullah and how he seems to almost hijack the country in the name religion.

Pakistan's salvation will begin when we scrap the current constitution and go back to the the drawing board. We need a simple, clean and practical Constitution based on common sense and common values.
@stingingnettle1
stingingnettle1@gmail.com

Unread post Mon May 05, 2014 8:10 pm
SN,

Thanks for your kind words. The constitution of Pakistan was an amazing read even for a relaxed person like me, who don’t mind mixing reality with dreams, otherwise. This document is nothing but a collection of big lies and contradictions. It’s really surprising to note that no one in this country has ever come up with a deviating point of view. What, are we a nation of ignorant or is it easier to close the eyes and play blind?
When I started writing the articles, I believed it to be quite short write, but it has already started dawning on me that if I am to tackle the document seriously, I need to write at least few volumes, if I’m to do justice to the subject. I surely not going to waste my precious time on showing to the reader that our country is run by fraudulent people. I think most of us already know the fact. I’ll try to take up the most important articles and issues and would like to wind up this duplicitous constitution of ours. The word unconstitutional would henceforth not sound so foul as it has done till now. Now I know that the document is made to allure and to violate its sanctity by both military and civil rulers.
You suggest a new writing. Forget about it, first you have to conceive the children who know the meaning of honesty, integrity and high values, before you can even think about writing such an important document. Right now we have neither any common sense, nor any common values. We are people deeply ensnared in the web of materialism and therefore would surely perish without leaving any visible signs behind.

Return to ThePakPolitics ThinkTank - Political Analysis